Wednesday, March 08, 2006

(60) Secret triad partnerships in Durban

At 7.55 p.m. on July 18th 1990, I was in room 616 of the Tropicana Hotel in Durban, South Africa.

I was writing something in my diary about the importance of the basic proposition of yoga, which is derived from the Sanskrit word for union.

Its disciplines are intended to bring about increased interaction between man’s personality and some higher part of his nature, whose existence is denied by conventional psychology.
In yoga it is regarded as the real component in man, the personality being but a transient epiphenomenon, and the greater the degree of this hidden contact and interplay between the two then the higher the development of the individual.
These two constituents are sometimes termed "the lower triad" (the personality) and "the higher triad" (the soul).

I was to subsequently come across depictions of the soul as an upward-pointing triangle in alchemical writings, but the first time that I read of these triad designations was in books written by a man who claimed to have had experiences of mystical consciousness through achieving an advanced degree of union between personality and higher self in the 1950s, in Durban.

In the background on TV was a film called Legal Eagles.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_Eagles
I had seen it for the first time when it had been broadcast on another channel a few days before, and I was paying it little attention, until just as I made that note a remark was made by a character played by Debra Winger.

She played a lawyer who was accompanied by a colleague played by Robert Redford as she searched through some files of a suspected baddie played by Terence Stamp.
She announced that she had uncovered what looked like evidence of a "secret triad partnership" between three villains.

Neither before nor since have I heard the phrase triad partnership used in any context, nor has anyone else that I have questioned.

No comments: