Friday, March 10, 2006

(177) Fish (eye) on

Paul McLahan of Massachusetts, USA, bought a copy of my book Coincidences. http://www.facebook.com/paul.mcclanahan.5 I knew him from the Internet Chess Club by his handle of Fishon.
He sent me this e-mail back on May 5th 2001 - On Thursday I read the part of your book where you give the story of the baboons and the mantis (Pages 49-51

)... that afternoon I went fishing with a friend and I had the story in the back of my mind. We caught no fish all day.
Right before we were leaving the water, my friend had a fish strike his lure.
He went to set the hook, and nothing... but when he retrieved the lure there was an eyeball attached to the hook. "water" "eyeball"? and I had just read the reference that morning! coincidence?

Later he affirmed the story with this subsequent e mail -

44. FishOn (18:43 05-May-01 EDT): -
sometime after leaving my message(s) to you... I was concerned that maybe you thought is was a joke. I assure you, that even though the chance of snagging an eye from fish is rare (I've fished most of my 43 years and never saw this)... it did, indeed, happen... and on the very day I read that story.

What Paul does not mention may be seen on Pages 49-5 of Coincidences may be seen here in Point (40) of Living the Dream: A Coincidence Diary: The Narrative, plus Epilogues and Appendices (james-plasketts-coincidence-diary.blogspot.com)
For the eye is immersed in water by mantis ́ father and subsequently he finds it has become, again, his son entire -

́He comes to a place of water and greenery, an ever-recurring image of the source of the first spirit. There he takes the eye and tenderly immerses it in the water, saying: "Thou must grow out, that thou mayest become like that which thou hast been." Day by day the eye changes, until mantis hears it splashing in the water and finds his child made whole again. "There, then, complete is the boy, complete the vision — the new way of life." ´

No comments: