Tuesday, March 07, 2006

(13) The Morecambe and Wise finale

V
One evening in late January 1986 I and Angela Julian-Day were talking with Graham Hillyard in a north London flat.
The daft idea struck me to recite the piece with which a lady (Janet Webb) had always closed the Morecambe and Wise TV Shows of the 1970s.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morecambe_and_wise

And so, even though I do not recall ever having done so before, I announced;
"I’d like to thank you for watching me and my little show here tonight. If you’ve enjoyed it then it’s all been worthwhile. So until we meet again, goodnight, and I love you all!"

Graham (who is quite a sceptical type) went very quiet.
"That’s amazing", he said. "That’s the second time tonight that I have had that said to me."

He went on to explain that earlier that evening he had been talking to a friend on the phone and, out of the blue, he also had produced this same speech.

No comments: