Wednesday, March 08, 2006

(50) The perfect day on which to ´Address´ a Mr Niro... and shortly after three other Ne(i)ros

V
In December 1989 the Bedford Mail depot advertised for extra hands to cope with a Christmas backlog. So I worked for a few days as a postman. On December 15th I was introduced to an official; Mr Niro.
"I hope you’re not fiddling around, Mr Niro", I said.
"Oh, I’ll let the whole lot go up in flames!", he replied. I suspect that I was not the first person to joke about his name.
Later that day I noticed that amongst the Anniversaries noted in The Times was the birth of Nero, in A.D. 37. I thought that I would mention it to Mr Niro, so the following day I asked at the depot to see him.
"Which one? There’s two of them." 
It turned out that Mr Niro’s brother also worked there.
Later that morning I delivered some letters. I noticed that one was to a Ms L. Niro and another for a Master B. Niro of 78 Butler Way. When I mentioned this to the first Mr Niro he said that these people were unrelated to him.

No comments: