Friday, March 10, 2006

(167) Kinsmen. With, coincidentally, the appropriate price of Coincidences

V
On May 17th 2000 Byron Jacobs was queuing for a flight to Amsterdam, when he noticed that ex-England footballer Gary Lineker was directly ahead of him in the queue. A couple of days later I was at his home in Hove when he asked me to guess who he had seen ahead of him.
“Me”, I suggested.

He then said that funnily enough when, the previous day, he had asked Andrew Kinsman that question he also had said “Plaskett”. Also on May 17th 2000 my wife had received an unexpected letter from a lady whose address was given as Ditchling Rise, Brighton.
That was the street in which Byron lived before moving to his new address in Hove.

N.B.
On July 25th 2000 I noted a message on the Internet Chess Club from Byron Jacobs asking me to post off the corrected proofs to a book I was writing for his company to his publishing colleague, Andrew Kinsman.
He specified that if I did that immediately then he would not only forget about £10 I had owed him for some time as a backgammon debt but also that he would decline to accept a free copy of my forthcoming book Coincidences but would rather instead pay me the cover price of £10 for it.
I accepted his terms and sent off my amendments that afternoon.

Early that evening I logged on the Internet Chess Club and was promptly asked by a player with the handle Kinsman if he could pay me $5 for a quick game. I agreed. He then asked me how much I would charge him for four further games. I proposed a discount price of $15, which he paid me. Thus I ended up receiving the cover price of the book from this other Kinsman. The gentleman’s name was James Kinsman and he was an American.
As I began to play my first game with him Andrew Martin kibitzed in asking if he were Andrew Kinsman. Andrew Martin is mentioned in Coincidences and also bought a copy. 
$20 U.S. is about ten Pounds.

And finally...
At the 2001 Edinburgh chess congress John Wilman, whose name appears in my book and who is also mentioned in the Part Two: The Narrative, Epilogues and Appendices Entry, here, asked to buy a copy.
I told him that it cost ten pounds, and he said that he did not have that amount of cash on him. He was reading a copy of the novel Red Dragon and was using a $20 bill for a book mark. He proffered me that instead, and I accepted it.
Upon receipt of the book via post a few days later he saw that it says on it that the price is £10 or $20, and he remarked on the coincidence of his having just the other appropriate amount for payment on him at the moment he asked me for a copy.

No comments: