Wednesday, March 08, 2006

(102) Lillies that fester smell far worse than weeds.

On January 10th 1994 I thought of the misdemeanours of a guru. I had been shocked by the misconduct of a man who had so stressed the importance of correct behaviour.

The last lines of Shakespeare’s 94th sonnet http://www.shakespeare-online.com/sonnets/94.html contain a
warning about how terrible it is when the advanced lapse - 
For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds; 
Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds.
The guru had oft drawn attention to those lines.

I pictured myself confronting him and quoting them.

That evening I visited my mother. As I arrived she was watching some police drama on BBC1. At one point a character said to another "sweetest things grow sourest by their deeds." Only that line was quoted.
I am confident that I had never heard it quoted anywhere before.

On March 26th 1997 I again encountered the "lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds" quote on TV, only a few minutes after I had been thinking of that same guru´s fallings off.

No comments: